Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Goodbye.

Dedicated to DYWC, my true home.

I have been at this camp for six years. I have had five different counsolers. I have had four different roommates. I have met my three true sisters here. I have had two camp crushes. and I have had one true home. They always tell you that home is where the heart is, and my heart is permanently nestled within the cinderblocks of the too-cold dorm rooms and the overly painted bench in front of Randolph. 343 days out of the year I am homeless and naked. I have made countless numbers of friendship bracelets and have learned to open up and be vulnerable with people in the short span of twelve days. I have discovered the place that helped me find my vice, my art, and my passion. The upper campers have heard my stories and seen my tears. I have discovered where I am not only accepted and open, but I am happy. I can walk into the campus feeling completely invisible and leave feeling fufilled and fresh. Each person I have met here is a freckle on my shoulder and I will carry them with me for the rest of my life. I have given the best and worst of myself to each tiny fragment of foundation within the program. I am elated to say that I have been molded by a system of people that not only know what they're doing, but love each moment of it. I have surrounded myself with some of the most honest and beautiful people that exist and know that every moment, every footstep, and every word I wrote on cheap notebook paper will stay with me. This camp has not only changed my life, but gave me a home. Goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara, I love this piece!
But I think we've both made a mistake about the number of days in a year when compared to duke young writers.
a year is 365 days, DYWC is 13. so I think the nonDYWC days would be 352
but in reader's forum I said 342
so whatever idk.

This is still my favorite reading from celebration!
SCRONG I love you!